A High Point institution for generations
With its opening in 1923, High Point Country Club soon became the central gathering place for High Point’s civic and business leaders and a popular recreational and social destination. For generations, the elegant clubhouse and attentive staff have played host to countless meetings, parties and receptions and have been responsible for a multitude of lasting memories for so many families.
Along with the dining and social calendar, the nine-hole executive course designed by Donald Ross was a main drawing card for the club. Over the years, new recreational amenities were added to serve the growing membership. Tennis courts, an Olympic-size swimming pool and a 24-hour fitness center attend to the varied interests of members and their guests.
Willow Creek brings championship golf and world-class events
A desire for a full 18 holes of championship golf led to the acquisition of Willow Creek Golf Course, designed by prominent architect William C. Byrd and opened in 1964. Byrd’s portfolio includes more than 30 courses, such as the distinguished layouts at the Country Club of North Carolina and the Atlanta Country Club. His work at Willow Creek is regarded among his finest—fine enough to host a number of significant regional and national events including the N.C. Amateur, the annual Senior Hall of Fame Championship and, for a number of years in the ’80s, the LPGA’s Henredon Classic.
In 2012, Willow Creek Golf Course underwent a series of renovations including installing Champion Bermuda greens. Better-suited for the warm, humid summers, Champion has been a welcome addition to an already impressive golf facility.